What is Civil Registration?
- Civil Registration is the process of recording Births, Marriages and Deaths that are created and maintained by government. There records are also known as Vital Records.
When did Civil Registration begin?
- 1 January 1845 for Non-Catholic Marriages
- 1 January 1864 for all
Where can I locate Civil Registration records?
- Records are available from the Registrars employed by local Councils.
- NiDirect allows you to purchase certificates for Northern Ireland online
- hse allows the purchase of certificates online for the whole of Ireland up to December 1921 and for the Republic of Ireland from January 1922.
- The General Register Office in Roscommon accept postal requests for certificates
What type of certificate do I need?
- Standardised certificates have been issued since 2003 and are the equivalent to the old long form certificates.
- Photocapies of the registers are available as research copies (not certified) by postal request to the General Register Office in Roscommon.
What information is recorded on Civil Registration Records?
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Names of the child
- Father's name (May be left blank if not married to the mother)
- Father’s occupation
- Mother's name
- Mother’s maiden names
- Informants signature
- Informants description
- Informants address
- Date of registration
- Registrars signature
- Date of Marriage
- Location of Marriage
- Groom's name
- Groom's age (may be given as Full or Minor)
- Groom's condition (bachelor, widower, divorcee)
- Groom's occupation
- Groom's usual residence
- Groom's Father's name
- Groom's Father's occupation
- Bride's name (including all prior surnames)
- Bride's age (may be given as Full or Minor)
- Bride's condition (spinster, widow, divorcee)
- Bride's occupation
- Bride's usual residence
- Bride's Father's names
- Bride's Father's occupations
- Signature of groom
- Signature of bride
- Signature of 2 or more witnesses
- Signature of officiant
- Full Name
- Age or Date of Birth
- Date and place of Death
- Cause of death
- Condition as to Marriage
- Informants signature, description and address
- Date of Registration
- Signature of Registrar
Further Reading and Information